What are the Alternative menu features?
Alternative menu features are actions to be executed on one of the favorites in your QAP menu. After you click one of the options in the Alternative menu, the full QAP menu is displayed to let you choose on what favorite you want to execute the Alternative menu command.
Alternative menu triggers (the mouse default trigger is Shift + Middle Mouse Button and the keyboard default trigger is Shift + Windows + W).
- These triggers show the Alternative menu over any windows.
- In the Alternative menu, you select the actions to apply to one of your favorites (see the list of Alternative menu features below).
- Then, in your QAP menu, select the target favorite on which the Alternative menu feature will be executed.
Alternative menu features
The Alternative menu offers the following features:
- Open in new window: open the favorite in a new window instead of changing the folder in the target window (even if the menu is opened in an existing Explorer window or in a file dialog box).
- Edit a Favorite: change a favorite settings directly from the QAP menu (without having to open the Customize window).
- Copy a Favorite’s Path or URL: copy the file path or the URL of a favorite to your clipboard in order to paste it in any other window.
- Run as administrator: run the application with administrator access (elevated privileges).
- Open the Containing Folder in the Current Window: open, in the current Explorer window, the parent folder of the selected favorite document, application or folder.
- Open the Containing Folder in a New Window: open the parent folder of the selected favorite in a new window (even if the menu is opened in an existing Explorer window or in a file dialog box).
Alternative menu features are also available directly from the regular menu by using various keyboard modifiers when clicking a favorite in the popup menu (see also: Can I launch Alternative menu features directly from the regular popup menu?). By default these keyboard modifiers are available:
- Left Shift + Click: Open in new window.
- Left Control + Click: Copy a Favorite’s Path or URL.
- Left Shift + Left Control + Click: Edit a Favorite.
- Right Shift + Click: Open the Containing Folder in the Current Window.
- Right Control + Click: Open the Containing Folder in a New Window.
- Right Shift + Right Control + Click: Run as administrator.