What are the Alternative menu features?
Alternative menu features are actions to be executed on one of the favorites in your QAP menu. After you click one of the options in the Alternative menu, the full QAP menu is displayed to let you choose on what favorite you want to execute the Alternative menu command.
You open the Alternative menu with a mouse or a keyboard triggers. The default mouse trigger is Shift + Middle Mouse Button and the default keyboard trigger is Shift + Windows + W.
- These triggers show the Alternative menu over any windows.
- In the Alternative menu, you select the actions to apply to one of your favorites (see the list of Alternative menu features below).
- Then, in your QAP menu, select the target favorite on which the Alternative menu feature will be executed.
Alternative menu features
The Alternative menu offers the following features:
- Open in new window: open the favorite in a new window instead of changing the folder in the target window (even if the menu is opened in an existing Explorer window or in a file dialog box).
- Edit a Favorite: change a favorite settings directly from the QAP menu (without having to open the Customize window).
- Copy a Favorite’s Path or URL: copy the file path, the URL or the content of a Snippet to the Clipboard in order to paste it in any other window.
- Run as administrator: run the application with administrator access (elevated privileges).
- Open the Containing Folder in the Current Window: open, in the current Explorer window, the parent folder of the selected favorite document, application or folder.
- Open the Containing Folder in a New Window: open the parent folder of the selected favorite in a new window (even if the menu is opened in an existing Explorer window or in a file dialog box).
- Move the selected file to a favorite folder (requires v126.96.36.199 or more recent): move the selected file(s) or folder(s) to one of the favorite folders in your QAP menu. The selected files or folders are the selected items in the active Windows Explorer, Directory Opus window or on the Desktop (not available with Total Commander at this time).
- Copy the selected file to a favorite folder (requires v188.8.131.52 or more recent): copy the selected file(s) or folder(s) to one of the favorite folders in your QAP menu. See Move the selecte file above.
Alternative menu features are also available directly from the regular menu by using various keyboard modifiers when clicking a favorite in the popup menu. By default these keyboard modifiers are available:
- Left Shift + Click: Open in new window.
- Left Control + Click: Copy a Favorite’s Path or URL.
- Left Shift + Left Control + Click: Edit a Favorite.
- Right Shift + Click: Open the Containing Folder in the Current Window.
- Right Control + Click: Open the Containing Folder in a New Window.
- Right Shift + Right Control + Click: Run as administrator.
- Move the selected file to a favorite folder and Copy the selected file to a favorite folder do not have default keyboard modifiers but you can remove modifiers from the less used features above to free them for the new ones.
About this, see how to configure Alternative menu features shortcuts: Can I launch Alternative menu features directly from the regular popup menu?
Video on the Alternative menu
My AHK colleague and friend Joe Glines asked me what was the most useful but least known feature of Quick Access Popup. Answer: the Alternative menu!